2021: ISSUES WHICH REQUIRE INTERNATIONAL ACTION AND COOPERATION
Updated: Jan 4, 2021
1. Making available COVID-19 vaccines quickly, cheaply and in fact freely for all human beings irrespective of their race, religion, caste and creed.
2. GLOBAL WARMING: this is the most dangerous ticking bomb, which if it once explodes, we shall never have a chance to reverse the harm it is doing. Large parts of the world will become dry with droughts hitting people in the millions.
3. Population Explosion: In 1947, West Pakistan (which is now Pakistan) had less than 34 million people. It now has some 220 million. You can well imagine what it means. The poorest parts of the world will have no chance to recover and catch up if babies continue to be multiplied all the time.
4. Extremism, violence and terrorism are scourges which need to be eliminated. Population explosion with job prospects shrinking means desperate young people. They become easy bait to extremist ideologies.
5. Cooperation and not Confrontation, Peaceful Resolution of disputes and conflicts and an emphasis on Human Race One Race must be declared a global ideal.
6. A fairer distribution and sharing of the wealth of the world must be given attention. Social Democracy with both freedom and equality must become the standard and the norm. Unbridled capitalism or Neoliberal Capitalism and Globalization have taken a heavy toll in human suffering although in absolute terms the production of wealth has increased impressively. A balance between development and equitable sharing of wealth must remain an objective for all fair-minded people.
7. Education must become a legally guaranteed human right. Education must be based on science and humanist ethics and morality. Religion should be a matter of private belief.
8. Women Empowerment which has worked successfully in Bangladesh must be given priority and the best way is to enable them to earn a livelihood independently of their male spouses.
9. THE RULE OF LAW MUST REMAIN A UNIVERSAL AIM AND OBJECTIVE.
10. The production and sale of Armament must be discouraged.
11. Regional Cooperation must become a top priority of states.